Sunday, September 11, 2005

PEN Attribute Holder

I've added the functionality of the PEN Attribute Holder into my character rigging script. PEN Attribute Holder is a cool modifier written by Paul Neale that allows you to save the values of a set of custom attributes as presets and then recall them at any time. It also allows you to save and load presets. This means that I can create hand and finger poses, save them as presets, and recall them at any time during the animation process. I'm hoping that this will speed up the animation on characters' hands and with the time we save we can make the characters' hand movements and poses more expresive. Paul's modifier also has other useful tools for working with sets of custom attributes.

I want to post a special thank you here to the people that have helped and contributed to my character rigging script. First of all, a big thanks to Mike Comet who's incredible rigging script I have used as a framework on which to build my own. I also want to thank Alan Noon for encouraging me to jump in and learn MaxScript. Of course I want to thank Paul Neale for his really cool attribute holder script and all of the other great stuff he has poste
d on his site. And finally a big thanks to Mark Tsang, Sebastian Schoellhammer, Scott Goffman, Kees Rijnen, and Larry Minton on the various message boards for their help with MaxScript syntax and other bumps-in-the-road that I've run into. People like these who are willing to help out the new guy (me) are just fantastic. Thanks a lot guys!

I've got more features planned for the script so stay tuned! Also, those of you that come here to read about normal mapping and HLSL shaders, I haven't forgetten or abandoned that stuff. In fact, I've been iching to write a new shader or two .... :0)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just writing to know I'm using some of your rusty_metal jpgs for a background. Thanks for your work..

Andrew - Brisbane - Australia

September 13, 2005 3:22 PM  
Blogger virginiavalle.blogspot.com said...

Hey your blog look interesting.. Thank you for your work!!!! bye

September 14, 2005 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to say thanks for the great Normal Mapping tutorial -- found it linked from cgtalk -- it's been very helpful in answering some questions I had.

September 27, 2005 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like good work dude. I have been learning Maxscript also, in the hope of utilising it to build a rig based on point helper pivots, but you seem to be ahead of me at this point ( a long way ahead), but its refreshing to know that there are like minded people out there to help and ask questions. I look forward to seeing this in action. Keep it up.

September 30, 2005 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, just thought I'd stop by to let you know that I used one of your ground texture images in my photography research for school. A smaller version of it on a brainstorm under the title as one of the four elements. I've linked back to your site in my journal. Thanks a lot.
-jk-

October 04, 2005 5:33 PM  
Blogger Ben Cloward said...

Wow, thanks for all the comments, guys. I'm glad that you like my textures, tutorials, etc and that my stuff has been useful for all of you.

October 04, 2005 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! i am being thanked! thanks! nice blog - keep it up man! lets exchange some tips sometime..

sebastian

January 05, 2007 1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home