Friday, July 29, 2005

MaxScripted Character Rig

I'm taking a break from shaders for awhile to jump headlong into something else - MaxScritpt! I've started work on a new script that will allow me to build all of the bones and rigging for a character with one click. It's been a little bit of a challenge for me to get started doing this since I have to look up almost every thing that I want to do - but it will be worth it.

The cool thing is that I can put a lot of effort into this script upfront so that it creates a really nice rig. Then all my future characrters can have a very nice rig. In the past I've only had time to build nice rigs for the main characters in the game and the others had to have simple ones mainly because of the demands of the schedule. With a scripted rig, all the character rigs can be very very good - because they all come from the same script. I can use my time to refine the script, customize each rig a bit, and make the skinning better instead of doing the tedious work of laying out bones, creating controllers, wiring things together, etc. The script will take care of all of that for me. I'm excited about it.

So far I've got a script that creates the legs of the character. I'll post updates here when I make more progress.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Eric Chadwick said...

Have you seen Michael Comet's charRigger, or Kees Rijnen's PuppetShop, or Andre Hotz' (of SkinOrDie) character system. Can't recall the name of Andre's, but I have it saved local if you want a look.

I think you probably want to roll your own, for learning's sake, but it can't hurt to get ideas from others' attempts.

Good luck man, sounds like fun!

August 24, 2005 3:18 PM  
Blogger Ben Cloward said...

Thanks Eric! I've been using Mike Commet's script a lot for learning. It has a lot of functions that I'm using and I really like the way it's put together. It has helped me get my script up and running much quicker than if I had started from scratch.

August 25, 2005 7:46 AM  
Blogger LukeO said...

Hi Ben

I have always wanted a skinning and char' set up that does the following.

When a model is built correctly and symetricaly. You select an edge in the model, lets say an edge in the leg. The script can read the edges and cycle through them highlighting each in turn. In a dialogue box that is always on, you are asked if this is the joint center. If it is the ankle say, you put the name of the ankle into a field and hit OK. The edge selection is made and recorded. You then continue on making each selection one by one. When this is complete you hit build bones. The script reads in the selection sets and places a bone acording to each joint position. The script would also place a circle shape over the joint. These circle shapes will then be used to add the appropriate weights to the bone through the skin modifier. They should be adjustable and will be linkedxformed to the bone for adjustment on the fly. They may also allow for twisting and rotation of the rig during animation. I can email you more detail with diagrams etc'. My site is www.lukeodonnell3d.com

I would seriously love to have a go at writing this myself but I'm realy busy at present.

October 05, 2006 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home