Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Free HLSL Shader Tutorial Videos

Several years ago I made a series of training videos to teach artists how to write real-time shaders in HLSL.  The series starts out with very simple concepts so that someone with no programming experience at all can start right from the beginning and learn to write shaders.  Further into the series, I cover more advanced topics such as parallax mapping, global illumination, reflection and refraction, and vertex animation. Everything is explained step by step so it's easy to follow.

Originally, the videos shipped on 3 DVDs that sold for $60 each.  Sales were pretty successful, but the company that sold them went out of business just a short time after the 3rd DVD was released.  So I've decided to upload them to YouTube so that everyone can watch them for free!  My hope is that they'll help aspiring artists and programmers learn the art of shader creation.  Although some of the material is out of date, almost all of the principles taught are still valuable to learn and understand as a foundation to learning to write shaders.

Here's my channel:  https://www.youtube.com/user/bcloward

The series consists of 40 videos.  I'll be releasing a new video each weekday starting this week - so if you're interested, be sure to subscribe to the channel and check back often.  If I get enough interest, my plan is to start creating new videos that demonstrate more recent shader techniques.

Let me know what you think.  I'd love to hear your feedback!

-Ben

5 Comments:

Anonymous BoShen said...

Nice tutorial videos ever online. Thank you!

October 11, 2019 1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is insanely generous,and valuable !

I had got your (and bobo's) DVD'S when they were released. Since my currency was weak I remember saving up for months before I could afford them.

If i'm not mistaken you did a series on the Maths required for writing shaders as well ?

I wish you do a series on calculus since it's been showing up a ton in CGI (and AI) these days.

Thank you and Cheers,
behram

November 07, 2019 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely love that you posted these on YouTube. These have really helped me get my footing for understanding HLSL. Great work!

June 08, 2020 6:49 PM  
Blogger Moogle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 30, 2022 9:52 AM  
Blogger Moogle said...

Thank you very much for your free textures, I want to know what tree it is in this URL
http://www.bencloward.com/textures/bark45.shtml ?

August 30, 2022 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home